Friday, February 4, 2011

5 Things for 5 Senses

Today is a list of 5 awesome things for all of our five delightful senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste.



First of all, let's kick 'er off with sight. I adore images where a quick moment is captured and frozen mid-point...a raindrop falling, an explosion exploding; you name it, I love it (Thank you Mythbusters for making me love things slowed down)! For today, I present The Epic Bubble Pop.


There's nothing like the sound of a bongo drum jam session. If you've never been at the beach on a hot summer night, surrounded with cheap wine, off-key singing, and the heartbeat of worn-out bongos...well, You've missed out. Some of my favorite memories involve Mexican blankets, stars, the waves and a drum. But don't take my word for the beauty of it...listen.


When I need some time to think, throwing pottery is one of the best ways to clear my mind. I have an old kick wheel and it makes this great hum when the momentum smooths out. Everything feels quieter around me and I can center on my hands, and how the slightest touch ripples through the clay in a perfect, seamless movement. I love the feeling of wet clay moving through my fingers. It's like socially acceptable mud-pies I suppose.


The smell of a fresh summer rain on musty pavement always gets me. It's that smell of old buildup washing away, of the air clearing.

I love the taste of ice cream. It's not only the taste of ice cold chocolate and vanilla, but it's also the taste of road trips and the line for the ice cream truck in the cul-de-sac. It's the taste of sticky fingers and not knowing what calories were, and the taste of success over having finished all the peas at dinner time. Ice cream brings me back to days where the biggest decisions were over sprinkles or nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment