Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts

What better inspiration for happy things than a sunny Sunday afternoon? Home from church and cuddled up with my fuzzy socks, a good book and a notepad. There's something about thick roastbeef sandwiches with the family, and sitting around laughing after a good church service with friends. I wear jeans to my church now, but I still remember that feeling as a kid of coming home and stripping off my nylons after church, putting my head on my mum's lap while we watched a movie in sweatpants. Therefore, Sunday afternoons are my number 1 favorite thing today. 


Fearless nailpolish...shiny, wet, thick. I love how it can cover my flaws, help me take on a new persona, and somehow just create a fresher outlook on life. Once I've glided the cold layer over my pale fingernails I feel different, more feminine. I find my own hands irresistible to stare at and am ready to take on the world...as long as I don't have to actually touch anything, that is. Scary metaphor?

Butter. In the words of Julie Powell, author of 'Julie and Julia:'
"Is there anything better than butter? Think it over, any time you taste something that's delicious beyond imagining and you say 'what's in this?' the answer is always going to be butter. The day there is a meteorite rushing toward Earth and we have thirty days to live, I am going to spend it eating butter. Here is my final word on the subject, you can never have too much butter."


I love big questions. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac at times, and find any sort of chance to deconstruct any symptom at all, to find the root cause, quite exhilarating (I may get this from my addiction to watching the TV Show 'House'...or perhaps watching 'House' just feeds into my obsessive/neurotic view of my body?). Point being, no matter the symptom I like to find the reason. The symptom may be physical and may indicate a physical issue, or I may find myself less passionate, more dull...call me a personality hypochondriac if you will: I'm convinced that actions are not random. This is when the big questions shine...if I ask myself this:
 
I love the possibilities of my future when I am honest with my answer.


I love words. This won't be the first or last time I bring this up...words move me, break me, build me. They give me strength and they make me weak and vulnerable to their pull. Shane Koyczan breathes words and takes my breath away...again, again, again.

1 comment:

  1. So much for a blog about things that make you happy. Shane Koyczan made me cry.
    But thanks for sharing him anyway.

    ReplyDelete